Mojo sauces vary across locations. In the Canary Islands where the sauce supposedly originated, mojo is comes in several kinds: green mojo, red mojo, coriander mojo and parsley mojo. The Cuban variety, on the other hand, is made from citrus juice, olive oil and garlic. Spices and herbs may also be added such as cumin, paprika, oregano or bay leaves. Here’s a quick and easy recipe you should try for your barbecues!
* 2 ounces lemon juice
* 4 ounces water
* 4 ounces pineapple juice
* 6 ounces orange juice
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 4 teaspoons salt
* 1 tablespoon oregano
* 1 tablespoon bay leaves
* 1 garlic bulb
1. Get your garlic cloves and peel their skin off. Once done, mash them finely.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine your water, pineapple juice, orange juice, lemon juice, cumin, salt, oregano, bay leaves and mashed garlic. Stir the ingredients thoroughly with to distribute the flavors evenly. Let the mixture stand for about an hour before using.
A Few Tips
1. This mixture is enough to barbecue your chops and steaks but if you are planning to marinate a whole pig for roasting, you’ll need to multiply all of the ingredients by four. Doing so will let you create enough mojo sauce for a whole pig roast.
2. To marinate your pig, you have to ensure that you’ll use a syringe. As you can see, simply pouring the mojo on it will not make it that tasty because the sauce will not penetrate the thick meat. Using a syringe will allow you to infuse the flavors into the depths of the pig’s meat, making sure that every fiber ends up delicious and flavorful.
3. Before marinating your pig with the mojo sauce, it will be beneficial to also apply a good rub. Try our adobo seasoning to give your roast a distinct Cuban taste. Massage the rub liberally on the inside of the pig.
4. When you’re done rubbing, inject the mojo into the shoulders and hams of the pig. You have to do it slowly to prevent the sauce from seeping out.
4. Flip the whole pig over and apply the mojo sauce on the skin, too. Apply the adobo rub as well.
We hope that you enjoyed reading our blog on how to make cuban mojo. Also browse our blog for other delicious mojo sauce recipes. If you still don’t have a barbecue grill, just get one from www.LaCajaChina.com!
Discover the best accessories and spices for your La Caja China! Watch our video now.