These are the instructions for La Caja China Pork Shoulder or Leg Roast
1. Place Pork shoulders or Leg between the racks (double grids) and tie using the 4 S-Hooks.
2. Place Racks inside the box skin side down.
3. Cover box with the ash tray and charcoal grid.
4. Add 14 lbs. of charcoal for Model #1 Box or 16lbs. for Model #2 Box and light the charcoal.
5. Once lit (20 – 25 minutes) spread the charcoal evenly over the charcoal grid.
6. After you spread the charcoal is when your cooking time begins ______________ (write down your starting time).
7. After 1 hour (1st hour) ___________________ add 10 lbs. of charcoal (write time).
8. After 1 hour (2nd hour) ___________________ add 10 lbs. of charcoal (write time).
8a. Please See Note ** _________________ (write time).
9. After ½ hour __________________ add 10 lbs. of charcoal (write time).
10. After ½ hour (3rd hour) __________________ Remove the ashes by lifting the charcoal grid (shake well) place it on top of the long handles (write time).
11. Remove the ash tray from the box and dispose of the ashes. Make sure you water down the ashes on the ground, they can cause a fire.
12. Now flip the shoulder or leg over, to crispy the skin. This is easily done using our racks (double grids), just lift the end of the rack and slide as you pull upward, using the other hand grab the top end of the other rack and slide it down.
13. Score the skin using a knife, this helps to remove the fat and crisp the skin.
14. Cover the box again with the ash tray and the charcoal grid; do not add more charcoal at this time.
15. After 30 minutes, take a peak by lifting the ash tray by one end only. If needed, continue doing this every 10 minutes until the skin is crispy to your liking.
** Note: When roasting in the Caja China and the outside temperature is below 50 degrees you will need to add one extra hour of cooking and 10 lbs. extra of charcoal this will be done after Step 8.The inside temperature of the ham needs to be at 187o before you can open the box, to flip the rack.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT OPEN THE BOX BEFORE STEP # 10.